Some elements on this page are available to enterprise users only. Get started

Back to top

Other MoA

Other MoA event in South Sudan on Fri 2nd January 2026

2nd January 2026

The source material and subsequent headlines on METIS are collated by our system and taken direct from source. The opinions and views expressed in these source articles and source headlines are not the views and opinions of METIS or its employees.
METIS is not able to substantiate the veracity of sources or check misinformation in real-time. Our analysis is based on currently reported information and may change as new information becomes available.

Clashes in Jonglei State’s Uror County last week killed at least 70 SSPDF soldiers, including civilians, and forced tens of thousands to flee their homes, according to local officials.

The fighting on January 2, 2026, in Yuai, the administrative headquarters of Uror County, involved the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) and SPLA-IO forces loyal to suspended First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar.Majiok Chop, the director of information for Uror County, told Radio Tamazuj Wednesday that SPLA-IO forces captured the town of Yuai from the army after heavy clashes lasting approximately 80 minutes.

“The battle in Yuai was a heavy one… killing 70 government soldiers and civilians,” Chop said. “There was destruction in the market with all shops looted, leaving tens of thousands of civilians to desert Yuai for their safety.

”The government official described the devastation as the sixth and most severe instance since 2013, noting the town has been vandalized and deserted.

Chop, speaking from a village on the outskirts of Yuai, said government-appointed county commissioner James Gatkhor Gatluak was evacuated to neighboring Duk County for safety and government operations were suspended.

The violence has triggered a severe humanitarian crisis.

Chop reported that displaced civilians lack food and shelter and are drinking contaminated water after the destruction of boreholes in surrounding villages.SPLA-IO officials in Yuai could not immediately be reached for comment.

Thousands have fled to swamp areas within Uror County, while others have crossed into Duk County. Duk County Commissioner John Chatim Ruei confirmed the influx.

“Since the fighting on 2 January, we received 7,000 people displaced from Uror County,” Ruei said. “The displaced people are now in the areas of Pajut, Poktap, Patuet, Pagak, and Duk Padiet. They are in dire need of food and shelter.”He added that the fighting also displaced residents of Duk’s border villages, fearing spillover violence.

While the situation in Duk is currently calm with SSPDF soldiers “in full charge,” the displacement has disrupted aid operations, with groups like Catholic Relief Services (CRS) withdrawing to Bor town.

Contextual analysis

Analysing the event count by highlighting the presence of munition categories over a six-month data period.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information

Information sources

Discussion and media of this event has been extracted from all sources.

Sign in to view this information

Enterprise
Country information

Click to view more information about the country and see more information on conflicts occuring in that region.

South Sudan (SSD)

Discover more

Events using similar munitions or platforms and those that happen within a recent time line and proximity are displayed below.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information