Some elements on this page are available to enterprise users only. Get started

Back to top

Air Delivered

Air Delivered event in Hadramawt, Yemen on Fri 2nd January 2026

2nd January 2026

The source material and subsequent headlines on METIS are collated by our system and taken direct from source. The opinions and views expressed in these source articles and source headlines are not the views and opinions of METIS or its employees.
METIS is not able to substantiate the veracity of sources or check misinformation in real-time. Our analysis is based on currently reported information and may change as new information becomes available.

Air strikes killed seven separatist fighters in Yemen on Friday, according to an official with the group, as a Saudi-led coalition hit back against a sweeping advance by the UAE-backed Southern Transition Council, threatening a major confrontation.

The deaths are the first from coalition fire since the secessionist STC seized swaths of Hadramawt and Mahra provinces last month.Following the strikes, a military spokesman for the STC said it was in a "decisive and existential" war with Saudi-backed Yemeni forces, characterizing it as a fight against radical Islamism - a longtime preoccupation of the UAE.

Saudi Arabia and the UAE have for years supported rival factions in Yemen's government-run territories, but the STC's offensive has angered Riyadh and left the oil-rich Gulf powers at loggerheads.

Mohammed Abdulmalik, head of the STC in Wadi Hadramaut and Hadramaut Desert, said seven air strikes hit the Al-Khasha camp, killing seven and wounding more than 20.

Further strikes targeted other sites in the same region, he added.The air raids came shortly after pro-Saudi forces launched a campaign to "peacefully" take control of military sites in Hadramawt."This operation is not a declaration of war, nor an attempt to escalate tensions," Hadramawt Governor Salem Al-Khanbashi, also leader of the province's Saudi-backed local forces, was quoted as saying by the Saba Net news agency."This operation does not target any political or social group," he said, adding that it "aims to peacefully and systematically hand over military sites."

Saudi sources confirmed the strikes were carried out by the Saudi-led coalition, which also nominally includes the UAE and was formed in 2015 to fight the Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen's north.A source close to the Saudi military warned: "It will not stop until the Southern Transitional Council withdraws from the two governorates."The STC seized much of Hadramawt, bordering Saudi Arabia, and neighboring Mahra last month.Rival factionsRiyadh and Abu Dhabi are rival powerbrokers in Yemen's government-run areas.

The wealthy Gulf powers formed the backbone of the military coalition aimed at dislodging the Houthis, who forced the government from the capital Sanaa in 2014 and seized Yemen's most populated areas.But after a brutal, decadelong civil war, the Houthis remain in place and the Saudis and Emiratis are backing different factions in the government-held territories.Amr Al Bidh, foreign affairs representative for the STC, accused Riyadh of having "knowingly misled the international community by announcing a 'peaceful operation' that they never had any intention to keep peaceful."

"This was evidenced by the fact that they launched 7 airstrikes minutes later," he posted on X.Saudi Arabia has repeatedly urged the STC to withdraw from the recently conquered territories.

After the Saudi-led coalition bombed an alleged Emirati weapons shipment on Tuesday, the UAE's defense ministry said it would withdraw its remaining troops in Yemen.Flights groundedThe Yemeni government comprises a fractious coalition of groups including the STC, united by their opposition to the Houthis.The STC's advance has raised the possibility that South Yemen, a separate state from 1967 to 1990, might declare independence, while dealing a hammer blow to slow-moving peace negotiations with the Houthis.Also on Friday, the Saudi ambassador to Yemen, Mohammed AlJabir, said the STC had blocked a Saudi delegation from landing at Aden airport, accusing the group of "intransigence."

On Thursday, Yemen's STC-controlled transport ministry denounced a Saudi demand that all planes to and from the UAE make a stop in Saudi Arabia for security checks.According to the Flightradar24 tracking website, no planes have taken off or landed at Aden airport for more than 24 hours, although the ministry did not officially announce its closure.

Contextual analysis

Analysing the event count by highlighting the presence of munition categories over a six-month data period.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information

Information sources

Discussion and media of this event has been extracted from all sources.

Sign in to view this information

Enterprise
Country information

Click to view more information about the country and see more information on conflicts occuring in that region.

Yemen (YEM)

Hadramawt

Discover more

Events using similar munitions or platforms and those that happen within a recent time line and proximity are displayed below.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information