Mine
Mine event in Oddar Meanchey, Trapeang Prasat area, Cambodia on Sat 9th November 2024
9th November 2024
Landmine claims farmer’s life in Oddar Meanchey
Yet another life was lost to a landmine when it exploded beneath a farmer’s tractor in Trapaing Prasat district on Saturday.
Prime Minister Hun Manet expressed regret over the accident, said Ly Tuch, First Vice-President of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA), yesterday. The CMAA continues to work with local authorities to spread awareness about the risks facing people living in mine-affected areas.
“As a principle, when an accident occurs, the CMAA, along with local authorities, including provincial authorities and the Cambodian Red Cross, plays a key role in providing assistance, alleviating the suffering of affected families, and helping to resolve various issues that arise during such situations,” he said.
“The work of clearing landmines and explosive remnants of war in Cambodia is extensive,” he said. “We need additional assistance from our international partners to increase funding so that we can address the ongoing mine clearance challenges.”
“We hope that our partner countries understand the scale of this remaining work and continue to stand with the people of Cambodia to help resolve the dangers posed by landmines and unexploded ordnance from the war,” Thuch added.
CMAA data reveals that in the first ten months of the year, there have been 39 victims, 20 from landmines and 19 from Explosive Remnants Of War (ERWs). Ten of the victims lost their lives while 21 escaped with injuries and eight lost limbs. Among the victims were 25 men, two women, nine boys and three girls.
Cambodia is one of the world’s most landmine-affected countries, with millions of unexploded ordnances (UXO), cluster munitions, and other ERWs remaining after three decades of conflict that ended in 1998. It is estimated that four to six million landmines and other munitions were left behind.
The CMAA reports that during the 32-year period from 1992 to June 2024, 3,024 square kilometres of land were cleared for cultivation, housing, and infrastructure, and millions of landmines and unexploded ordnances were destroyed. Death and injury rates have significantly decreased, from over 4,000 in 1996 to fewer than 100 in the last decade.
According to Mr Hun Manet, 1,700 square kilometres of land in Cambodia remain at risk from landmines, putting approximately one million people in danger. In an interview with Khmer Times at the end of October, Thuch said that next year Cambodia will announce three provinces that will be declared mine-free.
So far, Cambodia has declared Phnom Penh, along with the provinces of Stung Treng, Kep, Prey Veng, Preah Sihanouk, Tboung Khmum, Kampong Cham, Svay Rieng, Mondulkiri, Kampong Chhnang, Kandal, Takeo, Kampot, Kratie, and Kampong Speu, to be landmine-free.
Contextual analysis
Analysing the event count by highlighting the presence of munition categories over a six-month data period.
Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.
Learn moreSign in to view this information
Information sources
Discussion and media of this event has been extracted from all sources.
Sign in to view this information
Country information
Click to view more information about the country and see more information on conflicts occuring in that region.
Cambodia (KHM)
Oddar Meanchey ( Trapeang Prasat area )
Discover more
Events using similar munitions or platforms and those that happen within a recent time line and proximity are displayed below.
Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.
Learn moreSign in to view this information