Some elements on this page are available to enterprise users only. Get started

Back to top

Hoax

Hoax event in Gozo, Mgarr Harbour area, Malta on Sat 26th October 2024

26th October 2024

The source material and subsequent headlines on METIS are collated by our system and taken direct from source. The opinions and views expressed in these source articles and source headlines are not the views and opinions of METIS or its employees.
METIS is not able to substantiate the veracity of sources or check misinformation in real-time. Our analysis is based on currently reported information and may change as new information becomes available.

Gozo ferry services restart after another bomb threat forces suspension Gozo Channel ferry services have restarted after a bomb threat on Saturday suspended its operations for a second consecutive day.

Gozo Minister Clint Camilleri told Times of Malta that services started resuming after 7pm. The Armed Forces of Malta were informed of the bomb threat on Saturday afternoon and inspected Gozo Channel's four vessels, and terminals in Malta and Gozo, a spokesperson said.

Two of those ships were in Malta’s Ċirkewwa port, and two others are in Gozo’s Mġarr port.  

Besides the ship decks, divers have also been inspecting the bottom of the ships. 

“Our bomb disposal officers will be splitting between the two islands and will be working at the same time,” they said.  

One passenger who was on the 3.30 pm ferry to Gozo said they had to disembark the ship just before they were set to depart.

At 4.15pm, traffic leading up to the Gozo port was tailed back well into Mġarr Road, with motorists getting out of their cars to find out what was happening.  

The threat comes during a busy weekend in Gozo, which is also hosting the popular opera at the Astra. The organisers have informed patrons that the event will start at 8.30pm instead of 7.30pm.

Attempts to obtain information from Gozo Channel have so far proved to be in vain.

In a Facebook post, Gozo Minister Clint Camilleri said he expected the perpetrators to be caught and taken to court.

Anyone caught making a fake bomb threat could face thousands of euros in fines if caught.

Contextual analysis

Analysing the event count by highlighting the presence of munition categories over a six-month data period.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information

Information sources

Discussion and media of this event has been extracted from all sources.

Sign in to view this information

Enterprise
Country information

Click to view more information about the country and see more information on conflicts occuring in that region.

Malta (MLT)

Gozo ( Mgarr Harbour area )

Discover more

Events using similar munitions or platforms and those that happen within a recent time line and proximity are displayed below.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information