Some elements on this page are available to enterprise users only. Get started

Back to top

SAA

SAA event in Nigeria on Thu 17th October 2024

17th October 2024

The source material and subsequent headlines on METIS are collated by our system and taken direct from source. The opinions and views expressed in these source articles and source headlines are not the views and opinions of METIS or its employees.
METIS is not able to substantiate the veracity of sources or check misinformation in real-time. Our analysis is based on currently reported information and may change as new information becomes available.
Police say they have raided a kidnapper den and neutralised two kidnap suspects that engaged its operatives in a gun duel within the Enugu metropolis.
The state’s Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, in a statement on Friday, said that police operatives recovered one G-3 rifle, two AK-47 rifles, three magazines and 125 rounds of live ammunition from the den.
Ndukwe said that the feat, which was achieved on October 17, around 8 p.m., was carried out by operatives from the Enugu State Police Command’s Anti-Kidnapping, Distress Response and Special Intervention Squads.
He said the raided hideout was located in Nokpa-Nike in Enugu East Local Government of the state.
According to him, the breakthrough followed a diligently gathered actionable intelligence.

He said, “Upon the operatives’ arrival, the kidnappers opened fire on them, prompting a return of fire.

“In the process, two of the suspects were neutralised, while others fled with varying degrees of gunshot injuries.

“A manhunt for the fleeing suspects and others linked to the syndicate is underway.

“A male victim, identified as the Personal Assistant (PA) to a public figure (names withheld), kidnapped by the gang on Sept. 27 in Trans-Ekulu axis of Enugu was rescued unharmed."
The police spokesman said that preliminary investigations revealed that the criminal group had demanded a ransom of ₦40 million for the release of their victim.

Ndukwe said that further investigations also revealed that the group was also found to be responsible for several kidnappings within the Enugu metropolis and its environs in recent times.

“Some of their members have been arrested and arraigned in court, with firearms and ammunition recovered from them previously.

“Furthermore, the buildings used for these criminal acts, including the present one, have been destroyed by the Enugu State Government.

“The state’s Commissioner of Police, Mr Kanayo Uzuegbu, has commended the operatives’ efforts and reiterated the command’s unwavering resolve to eradicate violent crimes in the state.
“The commissioner called on the public to remain law-abiding, vigilant and to support the police in their efforts,” he added.

Contextual analysis

Analysing the event count by highlighting the presence of munition categories over a six-month data period.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information

Information sources

Discussion and media of this event has been extracted from all sources.

Sign in to view this information

Enterprise
Country information

Click to view more information about the country and see more information on conflicts occuring in that region.

Nigeria (NGA)

Discover more

Events using similar munitions or platforms and those that happen within a recent time line and proximity are displayed below.

Enterprise

Understand the complete picture with an Enterprise account.

Learn more

Sign in to view this information